Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Looking at the viewing route flyer, you realise the work is spread across several floors and numerous rooms: it reminded a little of Tate Liverpool. On entering Sotheby’s my first impression was that of a hotel reception. To me it was far removed from both the atmosphere and décor you normally encounter (Sotheby’s are obviously used to entertaining a different sort of clientele).
In fact on walking around on several occasions I clocked sales staff chaperoning worthy types who obviously had the means to buy what was on display. Anyway, reading the room plan I had been given, I start wondering around in search of inspiration as to what all the fuss is about regards Hirst. This is the first time for me in viewing Hirst’s work in the flesh, so to speak, and according to the review by Waldemar Januszczak in the Sunday Times Culture magazine, I should be having a deep meaningful experience. Does he really mean an orgasm, not sure. But any way’s, as I stroll around the rooms I wonder how honest Waldemar had been, because what ever it was that gripped him was not being translated in the same way to me. Yes, the Cathedral stained glass window style artworks (made of dead butterflies), were eye candy to me (very decorative), and you could see that some of the works had taken time and patience to undertake. But, overall the ideas did not float my boat. In fact in a strange way, the whole show took me back to the 1970s and the surrealist cigarette advertising of that time. Somehow it all came across as designed just like some advertising campaign might have been.
But hang on a minute, this is not a gallery or museum this is an auction house! Yes, Hirst’s beautifully quirky mind has transformed a world of certainty into a world of uncertainty. What do you mean I hear you ask. Well, Hirst the last time I heard is alive and well, in fact (rumour has it), Hirst is the wealthiest living artist walking on this planet. So he’s not dead. But then, you don’t have to be dead to have your art sold at auction. Were is he going with this I hear you shout. ‘Beautiful Inside My Head Forever’ is made up of 223 pieces of new work.
Pass the ginger nuts.
Never before has an artist of Hirst’s standing bypassed the gallery system and gone direct to auction. It just isn’t done. Until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment